My Twelfth Day

7 hours. Starting at 8 am. I feel like death.

It's been about 2 months since I read A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, but from what I recall, gulags aren't as bad as the Franchise.

It's bad enough making little mistakes here and there, getting yelled at for them, and getting yelled at for things you didn't do, but then there are the awkward moments like when your manager gets in a huge fight with a supervisor with you standing between them.

It was the old guy and Curly. Curly accused him of not stocking up for lunch, and the old guy yells back that he didn't have anybody working with him, and that the idiot guy working with me and I were not trained for breakfast. Curly told him to train us. That got him really mad. He started yelling about a whole bunch of stuff.

"You need to calm down right now," said Curly. "I need to turn a profit. If you don't like the way I do things, the door is right over there. We're going to be sweating tears. We're gonna be sweating tears."

As stupid as that sounds, it turns out he was right. I worked straight through at the grill for 5 hours before they gave me a break. You have no idea how hot it gets back there without anything to drink. I began to get very dizzy and I started to hallucinate a little. At one point, I thought I heard someone ask someone else whether they were going to the Celebrity Ball. Then I started whistling that song.

They definitely turned a profit with me.

While I was on my break, I was listening to the drive-through people. They're trained to say every phrase, which is sort of funny in that someone thought that "large size" was a verb.

"Do you want to large size that?"

I mean, I can sort of see how they could claim their old word could be used as a verb, considering they made it up, but since they changed to "large", it just doesn't work. How much harder would it be to ask, "do you want the large size?"?

Since I've gotten a few hapless Googlers visit this site in need of information about the stress of fast food managers, I'll tell you this, it probably sucks for them, too, especially if you have some asshole like Curly as a supervisor.

Oh, and since Iris hasn't enabled comments still, have you ever thought of talking to a lawyer about sexual harassment? It's a really good market for employees these days. I don't know if you have to ask him to stop first. Things you might want to consider is if it goes on your employment record. If you get enough money, it might not matter to you.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment