Anonymity

The biggest issue with working at a fast food restaurant is reputation. I'm fresh out of high school, so this is still important to me. I honestly can't see how it would get better over time, as people have even higher appearances to keep up.

Anyway, I haven't told too many people that I'm working at a fast food restaurant. My mother has not followed suit.

The place I work is about 15 minutes from where I live, but not many people from my "old money" neighborhood (as I like to call it) stop by. I'm usually too busy to look out at the counter to see who is ordering what, but they can see me.

I figure, I'm not going to have to see any of those people ever again, so it doesn't matter.

Still, the idea that working at a place like this is so undesirable creates a void between the type of people who work there. There are the young people whose reputations are not as important, and the older and much poorer people.

One of these older people once pulled me close and said, "When you don't have anything to do, pick up a broom and start sweeping. The bosses will like you better, and come raise time, you'll get twenty cents instead of a nickel."

I think I heard somewhere that they evaluate you for a raise every six months or so, so that's not going to be an issue for me. I'm out of this place in four weeks.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

8:03 PM, July 22, 2005

Surfed in Via Blog Explosion. Fast Food jobs aren't that bad. People shouldn't look down on you because you work in fast food. They should respect the fact that you are working and not out causing problems. You shouldn't worry so much about what others think. They aren't the ones that pay your bills.    



8:07 PM, July 22, 2005

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. You're one of the few from Explosion who does.

Some people really like their fast food jobs, many more do not.

They probably should respect any work, but "shoulds" have never stopped anybody.

On another note, I'm probably not the sort of person likely to be out causing problems.

I felt that the end of my post came to the same conclusion you did; I shouldn't worry about what others think.    



» Post a Comment